The Best Vegan-Friendly Restaurants in Fairfield, Iowa
Our 2-day trip to Fairfield only scratched the surface of the vegan options that are offered in locally-owned restaurants. We’ve included all the current best vegan-friendly restaurants in Fairfield in this post so you can make an informed decision when traveling to Fairfield, IA.
Here is a guide to vegan-friendly restaurants in Fairfield, Iowa. This small, southeastern Iowa town of just under 10,000 residents completely surprised us with all of the vegan-friendly restaurant options.
Some of the meals listed below were hosted by Visit Fairfield but these opinions belong to us! Dusty & Kelly
- Bountiful Bakery
- Taco Dreams
- Depot House
- Hungry Camel
- Broth Lab
- Fishback & Stephenson Cider House
- Big Acai Bowls
- American Cuisines Vegan Options in Fairfield, IA
- Bakery Vegan Options in Fairfield, IA
- Cafes Vegan Options in Fairfield, IA
- Chinese Vegan Options in Fairfield, IA
- Coffee/Kava/Tea Vegan Options in Fairfield, IA
- Indian Vegan Options in Fairfield, IA
- Ethiopian Vegan Options in Fairfield, IA
- Mexican Vegan Options in Fairfield
- Pizza Vegan Options in Fairfield, IA
- Smoothies/Juices Vegan Options in Fairfield, IA
- Soup Kitchen- All Vegan in Fairfield, IA
- Sushi Vegan Options in Fairfield, IA
- Thai Vegan Options in Fairfield, IA
- Middle East Vegan Options in Fairfield, IA
- Looking for more vegan food in Iowa? Check out our other posts:
- Pin this to your favorite Vegan Iowa Board
The Best Vegan-Friendly Restaurants in Fairfield, Iowa.
Prior to any travel, especially to rural locations such as Fairfield, we do our due diligence and make sure we can find places that will offer vegan options. If we don’t have a lot of options that means we’ll have to add meal prep to our task list prior to the road trip.
Spoiler Alert: Fairfield, IA has a ton of vegan options. We need to plan another trip to Fairfield to try more of the vegan-friendly restaurants in Fairfield, Iowa! To say we were blown away by all of the vegan options that Fairfield Iowa has to offer would be a major understatement.
Here is our breakdown of vegan-friendly restaurants in Fairfield, Iowa by breakfast, lunch & dinner.
Vegan-Friendly Breakfast Options in Fairfield, Iowa
We were pleased to know that we’d be able to have some great vegan breakfast options in Fairfield, as this meal can be tricky when traveling to some areas.
Bountiful Bakery is located in a cozy house. They offer 100% vegan bagels (except for the parmesan-topped bagel) and also have a vegan cream cheese option and also offer vegan cheesecake. They have vegan cupcakes available as well!
Expect a delicious coffee or tea drink when you visit Bountiful Bakery. They have vegan milk options. The Matcha Latte was especially good!
Taco Dreams indeed! We ate here for breakfast but they are also open for lunch. This was a favorite stop for us in Fairfield.
We chose the vegan Jackfruit Carnita Burrito: shredded jackfruit on an heirloom corn tortilla topped with cabbage slaw, pickled red onion, cilantro & chipotle cashew cream. You’ll definitely need a fork to eat this burrito!
Our other meal was the black bean & guacamole taco: refried black beans and guacamole on an heirloom corn tortilla with cabbage, slaw, cilantro, pickled red onions & salsa macha.
Both meals were messy and excellent- we’d order them again.
We purchased some vegan flour tortillas to bring home with us to throw in our freezer. The tortillas are made of non-GMO heirloom corn from Oaxaca, MX.
They are located in the Fairfield Food Collective Building. They have locally made food items to purchase. We purchased some balsamic vinegar from Pickle Creek Herbs a local producer- They also have coffee, and kombucha, and serve ice cream- the menu mentioned vegan options.
Vegan-Friendly Lunch Options in Fairfield, Iowa
This is an interesting place that describes itself as pushing the boundaries in Fairfield as a restaurant by day and a nightclub in the evening. The menu specializes in authentic Peruvian cuisine.
We modified the grilled veggie wrap to make it vegan. After omitting the goat cheese we enjoyed the grilled zucchini, seasonal mushroom blend, roasted red peppers, tomato, and lettuce.
We also had the Spring Green Salad and it was very good. Next time we would order without the olive oil. The salad had mixed baby greens, orange segments, dried cranberries, nuts & seeds with lemon and olive oil. Omit the parmesan to make it vegan.
We also enjoyed Truffle Mushroom Crostini and a modified bruschetta toast. These are on the menu- omit the cheese and butter to make it vegan. They had a beautiful presentation!
Find Hungry Camel at 121 W. Broadway Ave, Fairfield, IA Facebook
As the name suggests, plan to arrive hungry to the Hungry Camel! This was delicious and we both chose the falafel burrito which requires two hands and likely a fork to eat. Very good and filling. It’s naturally all vegan so no need to modify this choice. We also left with some house-made babaganoush and enjoyed it after we got home. We ate it on the bread we purchased at Breadtopia in the Fairfield Food Collective Building. The babaganoush was so good and smokey.
Vegan-Friendly Dinner Options in Fairfield, Iowa
This was a favorite foodie spot for us in Fairfield, IA. They have a super creative cocktail and food menu that includes tofu and vegan options! They are located in a house renovated to become a chic restaurant.
They describe their menu as playful and we agree. This is the type of dining that you hope to find everywhere you travel- there were multiple vegan options and it was hard to choose.
The fried okra and pickled fried cauliflower were recommended for appetizers and they were both delicious.
For our mains, we settled on the vegan banh mi- in our experience any restaurant that has a vegan banh mi usually has a great menu. This was true here at Broth Lab. We also ate the Broth Lab Burrito which consisted of crisped rice, kimchi, citrus kale, braised mushrooms, and pickled red onion with crispy tofu.
Fishback & Stephenson Cider House
Fishback & Stephenson Cider House is a beautiful place to grab some ciders that are produced in-house and they also have a nice food menu! Their rustic barn-like structure sits on green grass and the patio overlooks a handmade pond. Beautiful details inside and out.
We were pleased to see the No Beef Burger which is a house-made charred vegetarian burger topped with lettuce, boetje’s spicy Dutch mustard, and pickles on a sesame bun- Modify this burger to make it vegan by holding the Swiss and chipotle mayo. It was very good and paired nicely with the ciders. Our favorite was the peach passion cider
We also chose the cowboy caviar salad- marinated black-eyed peas, corn, bell peppers, onions, poblanos, and jalapenos and the beet salad. This was delicious and you will also need to modify this salad to exclude the feta. The beet salad included locally grown snow radish microgreens, chopped romaine, mandarin slices, and an orange-tarragon dressing.
Vegan Shakes and Acai in Fairfield, IA
Big Acai Bowls
Big Acai Bowls is a great stop for a delicious and healthful acai sorbet bowl and dairy-free smoothies. The servings are huge! We recommend the Blue Majik base for bowls and the mango tango and coffee smoothies.
Service is highly energetic and they make great suggestions to people like us who have never (gasp) had acai bowls before. This is the perfect little snack to grab while perusing the shops surrounding Central Park in downtown Fairfield.
Additional Vegan-Friendly Restaurants in Fairfield, IA by Cuisine
Whether you’re a longtime vegan or just looking to incorporate more meatless meals into your diet, Fairfield has something to satisfy every palate.
The comprehensive list is in order of cuisine and includes a couple of all-vegan spots but also restaurants that have vegan options. Use this list for vegan options, which can be especially helpful in finding options when dining with non-vegans.
American Cuisines Vegan Options in Fairfield, IA
- Fishback & Stephenson Cider House – cider house with food
- Golden Dome Market and Cafe on the campus of Maharishi International University is open to the public. This is an organic and non-GMO grocery store and restaurant with vegan options.
- Lunchbox – upscale American comfort food and the same owners as Broth Lab
- MIU- Annapurna Dining Hall– Vedic Organic agriculture organic food- the public is welcome on the campus of Maharishi University’s organic buffet-style cafeteria on the campus of Maharishi University
Bakery Vegan Options in Fairfield, IA
- Bountiful Bakery bakery with coffee and vegan baked goods options
Cafes Vegan Options in Fairfield, IA
- Everybody’s Cafe – said to have breakfast, juices, and raw options
- Revelations (health store, bookstore with cafe inside)
Chinese Vegan Options in Fairfield, IA
- Asian Pho Bistro
- Green Gourmet Restaurant – Asian, Chinese, Indian, a non-GMO American-inspired menu
- Imperial Buffet
Coffee/Kava/Tea Vegan Options in Fairfield, IA
- Bountiful Bakery coffee with milk alternatives and vegan baked goods
- Cafe Paradiso – they offer oat milk
- Noble House Kava– an all-vegan cafe!
Indian Vegan Options in Fairfield, IA
- Gupata Indian Restaurant- a family-style Indian restaurant.
- India Cafe
- The Raj– on the campus of The Raj Ayurveda Center
- The Spice of India– the menu changes daily with many vegan options indicated on the menu
Ethiopian Vegan Options in Fairfield, IA
- Addis Ethiopian Cuisine – located in the Fairfield Arts and Convention Center
Mexican Vegan Options in Fairfield
Pizza Vegan Options in Fairfield, IA
- Mia Pizza offers vegan cheese but no vegan meats
Smoothies/Juices Vegan Options in Fairfield, IA
Soup Kitchen- All Vegan in Fairfield, IA
- Golden Magnolia Sanctuary- Stone Soup Kitchen This is a fantastic service to the community! They operate as a “pay-as-you-may”, donation-based & volunteer-run soup kitchen that serves vegan meals to the community. They take food donations from local residents and organic farmers.
Sushi Vegan Options in Fairfield, IA
- Shokai Sushi is unconfirmed vegan but most sushi establishments offer vegan options
Thai Vegan Options in Fairfield, IA
Middle East Vegan Options in Fairfield, IA
- Hungry Camel
- Istanbul Grill serves Turkish-American-Mediterranean Cuisine for breakfast, lunch & dinner